Earlier, I lamented about how I shouldn’t repurpose my old content and have it remain behind the curtain of academia. This feeling was based on my initial reaction to trying to create content solely for its own sake. At the time, I thought and said it was shit. But as I look back at it again to use as fodder . . . er research for my next piece, I realized that it might not be that bad. Not now, at least. In fact, what may have made me so judgmental was when I ran it through Grammarly and saw my text light up like an error-filled Christmas tree. I thought to myself, “That’s how much I need to rewrite?!!”
For those not familiar with Grammarly, it’s “spell-check” on steroids. As long as you don’t let it dominate your editing process (like I let it earlier), it’s a somewhat helpful tool. Zoe Bee did an excellent video about the pitfalls of the program, which you can see below.
Anyway, after relegating it to what I called “run-of-the-mill, undergrad fare,” I’m starting to change my mind. Although I still acknowledge that it lacks the polish that it would have gotten had it not been written in haste, I think it might have enough substance to stand on its own. At best, that “nugget of insight” I believe is still there, is there. At worst, it’s a lesson on how maybe I shouldn’t flaunt my old work as “good”. Nevertheless, it still merits some sort of repurposing.
Whatever the case, here is my new plan. I will once again repurpose my old content, use Grammarly (sparingly), and bank on the fact that it wasn’t as shitty as I thought it was. Worst case scenario, I can use them as examples of the futility of polishing turds.