Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You best unfuck yourself or I will unscrew your head and shit down your NECK!
– R. Lee Ermey (R.I.P.) Full Metal Jacket
This will be the first post of a weekly set of topics dedicated to expand upon the sub-cultural elements of the military. Topics include, but are not limited to
- Acronyms: What does NCO, TDY, or CDC mean?
- Misconceptions: Doesn’t everybody in the Air Force fly?
- Lingo: What’s so bad about a Blue Falcon?
- The phonetic alphabet: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!!
Keep in mind, there are already websites that explain these which you can find here, here and here. I’ll just (militarisms alert!) piggy-back on what they’ll be saying and use my experiences in the Air Force and put my own spin on it.
P.S. Why is it that no matter which branch of service you’re from, most of us have some sort of masochistic affinity towards Gunnery Sergeant Hartman? Future post?